Youth players show the future is bright for St Albans Hockey Club
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club’s youth players took centre stage on Saturday as they helped the men’s 8ths to a 4-1 win over Berkhamsted.
Thirteen-year-old Dan Burns and Sam Vance, 14, played a major part as the club’s newest team went second in Division 9SW of the East League.
The success of the teenagers comes on the back of the club’s half-term holiday camp, which saw several current international players coaching nearly 70 local young players at Oaklands.
Earlier in the day, a teenager-packed men’s 3rds, with boys’ captain Callum Emmerson to the fore, recorded an emphatic 4-0 victory over Richmond. On the road, the men’s 1st XI played out a goalless draw at Chelmsford in an even game which ended with unconverted chances at both ends.
The highlights of the weekend for the Tangerine Army, however, were two 2-0 away wins, achieved by the ladies’ 3rds and 5ths. Both teams are now second in their respectively leagues.
You may also want to watch:
This Saturday the unbeaten ladies’ 1sts head to Horsham, while the men’s 1sts headline another full programme of hockey at Oaklands in a 3pm pushback against City of Peterborough.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 6 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 7 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 8 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 9 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden