Youngster from Harpenden gets England call-up in fencing
- Credit: Archant
A delighted Harpenden schoolboy has being selected for the England fending squad.
Jacob Barr, who goes to Aldwickbury School, will join up with the U13 sabre team when they head to Poland in March.
The 12-year-old, who is part of the Paul Davis Fencing Academy, is currently ranked eighth in his age group in the country.
And he hopes this is the first step in achieving his dream of competing at the Olympics.
He said: “I was really pleased to receive the news that I had been selected for the U13 England sabre squad.
You may also want to watch:
“Fencing has helped with my fitness and enabled me to make new friends.”
Eddie Panting, director of sport at the school said: “It is inspiring to see that Jacob has pursued his passion to a high level and it reaffirms our commitment to provide a broad and balanced sporting offering for the boys and foster a love of physical activity.”
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 3 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 4 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 5 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
Headmaster Vernon Hales said: “Congratulations to Jacob. As a school we are really proud of him and wish him every success as he heads to Poland representing England.”