Youngster from Harpenden gets England call-up in fencing
- Credit: Archant
A delighted Harpenden schoolboy has being selected for the England fending squad.
Jacob Barr, who goes to Aldwickbury School, will join up with the U13 sabre team when they head to Poland in March.
The 12-year-old, who is part of the Paul Davis Fencing Academy, is currently ranked eighth in his age group in the country.
And he hopes this is the first step in achieving his dream of competing at the Olympics.
He said: “I was really pleased to receive the news that I had been selected for the U13 England sabre squad.
You may also want to watch:
“Fencing has helped with my fitness and enabled me to make new friends.”
Eddie Panting, director of sport at the school said: “It is inspiring to see that Jacob has pursued his passion to a high level and it reaffirms our commitment to provide a broad and balanced sporting offering for the boys and foster a love of physical activity.”
- 1 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 2 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 3 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 4 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 5 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 6 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 7 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 8 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 9 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 10 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
Headmaster Vernon Hales said: “Congratulations to Jacob. As a school we are really proud of him and wish him every success as he heads to Poland representing England.”