Youngster from Harpenden gets England call-up in fencing
- Credit: Archant
A delighted Harpenden schoolboy has being selected for the England fending squad.
Jacob Barr, who goes to Aldwickbury School, will join up with the U13 sabre team when they head to Poland in March.
The 12-year-old, who is part of the Paul Davis Fencing Academy, is currently ranked eighth in his age group in the country.
And he hopes this is the first step in achieving his dream of competing at the Olympics.
He said: “I was really pleased to receive the news that I had been selected for the U13 England sabre squad.
“Fencing has helped with my fitness and enabled me to make new friends.”
Eddie Panting, director of sport at the school said: “It is inspiring to see that Jacob has pursued his passion to a high level and it reaffirms our commitment to provide a broad and balanced sporting offering for the boys and foster a love of physical activity.”
- 1 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 2 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 7 Tough mother Jenny giving back to Bone Cancer Research
- 8 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 9 St Albans SustFest kicks off in style
- 10 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
Headmaster Vernon Hales said: “Congratulations to Jacob. As a school we are really proud of him and wish him every success as he heads to Poland representing England.”