Young stars achieve ace double
HERTFORDSHIRE Under 10s delivered an ace double in the Inter County Shield finals earlier this month. Charlie Broom, from St Albans, and Tom Hewitt, from Harpenden, lined up for the boys team with Lucy Booth, from Radlett, and Georgie Walker, of Harpenden
HERTFORDSHIRE Under 10s delivered an ace double in the Inter County Shield finals earlier this month.
Charlie Broom, from St Albans, and Tom Hewitt, from Harpenden, lined up for the boys team with Lucy Booth, from Radlett, and Georgie Walker, of Harpenden, involved in the girls squad.
The Herts teams began their campaigns to reach the finals in October 2007 and each won their groups, defeating some tough opposition. In February they played their semi finals and won against quality opponents.
The boys played their final on Sunday, March 2, at Bisham Abbey Sports Centre and the girls played on Sunday, March 9, also at Bisham Abbey.
You may also want to watch:
Four players compete in each match in singles and doubles and, if results are tied after six matches, the winner is the side with the most number of games won.
Herts girls defeated Bucks on games and beat Oxon 6-0, before defeating Surrey in the semi finals on games after drawing 3-3. In the final, Herts romped to a 6-0 win against Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
The Herts boys beat Bucks 6-0 and Berks on games to qualify for the last four. In the semi final they eased to a 5-1 win against Middlesex and then beat Sussex 4-2 in the final.
Leo Tutt, Tennis Development Manager for the Herts LTA, said: "This is obviously a great result for our young players and shows the strength of Hertfordshire Tennis. The county is excited that hard work has resulted in triumphs for these players and the parents, coaches and clubs associated with them. We hope they can build from this and go on to more successes, both individually and for the County.