Young Socceroos start UK tour with Clarence Park victory
St Columba’s College provide the opposition for opening game
St Columba’s College 1st XI 1
Australian National Schools U18 5
CLARENCE Park played host the Australian National Schools U18 squad last week as they began their UK tour with a match against St Columba’s College.
You may also want to watch:
As expected, the Australian team passed the ball around very well and the Columban team spent the majority of the game chasing the ball. However, an upset was on the cards when a free kick fell to Nick Lewis, who calmly rounded two defenders to fire the ball into the corner of the net with his left foot.
It didn’t take long for the Young Socceroos to reply. A good through ball, saw their quick centre forward tripped in the box. With their tails now up, the pressure started to pay off and a late corner saw the Aussies take the lead with a powerful header.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
St Columba’s could hold their heads high with the score at 2-1 down at half time.
The second half took a similar pattern to the first, but all credit to the Columban team who withstood the pressure for a large amount of the game.
With time ticking away, fresh legs from the Australian squad made the difference and three quick goals, sealed their fate.