Young Socceroos start UK tour with Clarence Park victory
St Columba’s College provide the opposition for opening game
St Columba’s College 1st XI 1
Australian National Schools U18 5
CLARENCE Park played host the Australian National Schools U18 squad last week as they began their UK tour with a match against St Columba’s College.
You may also want to watch:
As expected, the Australian team passed the ball around very well and the Columban team spent the majority of the game chasing the ball. However, an upset was on the cards when a free kick fell to Nick Lewis, who calmly rounded two defenders to fire the ball into the corner of the net with his left foot.
It didn’t take long for the Young Socceroos to reply. A good through ball, saw their quick centre forward tripped in the box. With their tails now up, the pressure started to pay off and a late corner saw the Aussies take the lead with a powerful header.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 5 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 6 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 9 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 10 St Albans Sirens overcome seasickness to complete charity Channel swim
St Columba’s could hold their heads high with the score at 2-1 down at half time.
The second half took a similar pattern to the first, but all credit to the Columban team who withstood the pressure for a large amount of the game.
With time ticking away, fresh legs from the Australian squad made the difference and three quick goals, sealed their fate.