Yellow cards cost OAs in north Yorkshire

Dan Watt is brought down by two tacklers. Picture: Ro Burridge

Dan Watt is brought down by two tacklers. Picture: Ro Burridge - Credit: Archant

Wharfedale 22 OAs 17

“We only have ourselves to blame”, has become something of a mantra for Old Albanian. But certainly the variety of methods used this season to rip defeat from the jaws of victory would vex a saint.

This time the sad injury to Will Magie who suffered a broken ankle after 25 minutes was compounded by his team-mates, who, between them, shipped no less than four yellow cards.

This is the equivalent of playing an entire half with just 14 men; worse, on two occasions the visitors were reduced to 13 and that is not a recipe for triumph, not in north Yorkshire.

Things started well enough for the visitors, despite the early loss of hooker George Warner, who was replaced by Brett MacNamee, himself returning from injury. Magie’s two early penalties drove Wharfedale deep into their 22. Their relieving kick found Ollie Marchon who handed to Andy Berry, unstoppable from close range. Dan Watt converted.

Lloyd Davies opened the Wharfedale account with a penalty after 16 minutes but the Green Machine lineout was suffering.

Then, Sam Lunnon was sent to the side for obstruction and a long wait ensued whilst the unfortunate Magie was treated.

Most Read

Marchon, trying desperately to intercept could only knock on and he joined Lunnon in the bin. The resultant penalty try was mere formality as was Davies’ conversion.

Still undaunted, and with the side back up to 14 men, Watt and Dom Regan combined to send Mike Allan over in the corner for a two-point half-time lead.

This was improved at the start of the second period with the hosts reduced to seven forwards after a dangerous tackle. Allan crossed again on the right after the snappiest move of the game.

Jordi Pasqualin was the next to enjoy a 10 minute rest and Cameron Hudson took advantage. Davies converted to level the scores.

Parity remained until Ollie Cooper-Millar was yellow carded. Desperate defence kepts the score tied until Cooper-Millar was due back on the field. Wharfedale chose that moment for Jack Barnard to touch down at the back of a now dominant Wharfedale scrum.

OAs welcome fellow strugglers Cinderford to Woollams on Saturday, 3pm kick-off. Anything other than a win will put OAs in real danger of dropping out of National League One.