Wren puts Ladies through
St Albans City Ladies 1 Bedford Town 0
ST ALBANS City Ladies overcame Bedford Town 1-0 courtesy of Kylie Wren’s first half striker.
There was early controversy as Kate Clarke was denied a penalty after being tumbled in the box by the goalkeeper. The referee awarded a goalkick but later revealed he should have awarded the penalty kick.
Geordie Brown then headed over from a Steph Belcher cross before Wren opened the scoring. City were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box and Wren stepped up to drive the ball into the roof of the net.
It should have been 2-0 when Belcher again picked out Brown but she sliced her effort wide.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 4 What is being done to tackle fly-tipping scourge?
- 5 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 6 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 7 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 8 Return of the Fred Hughes delights runners and organisers St Albans Striders alike
- 9 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 10 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
Kelly Hancock began causing Bedford problems but when she picked out Clarke the striker could only fire wide.
In the end City had to settle for a single goal victory and they will travel to Arlesey Town Reserves in the next round.
Squad: Hilton, Johnston, Kiff, Warren, Hutton, Hancock, Stanbridge, Brown, Wren, Belcher, Clarke, Kropman, Tape, Connolly, Fletcher, Harbron.