World Games hero shows off his gold medal at City Youth summer camp
- Credit: Archant
Very little can inspire the next generation of football players quite like winning a gold medal, although scoring the winning penalty in an international final comes pretty close.
St Albans City Youth striker Ben Kelly did both of those at the World Games in Los Angeles.
Team GB’s Special Olympics football team went unbeaten in the tournament but needed penalties to see off America in the final after drawing 3-3 in normal time. Kelly stepped up and buried his spot kick to hand Great Britain the trophy.
Kelly was the guest of honour at St Albans City Youth’s holiday coaching camp at Highfield Park and showed off his medal of the 134 young footballers dreaming of one day being in the same spot he was.
“ The highlight of the trip was the opening ceremony in front of 60,000 people including some superstars from around the world,” he said.
“The football matches came very quickly one game after another and winning has not fully sunk in yet. Matt Dodds and Sean Ellingham also represented St Albans City in the US and performed very well, with Matt also scoring in the final.”
City Youth chair of trustees Mervyn Morgan added: “We are so proud of the lads. Well done, you are a credit to St Albans City Youth and Special Olympics.”
- 1 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 2 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
- 3 Cool off at London Colney's new Watersplash
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 6 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 7 Big Brother House set to return to Hertfordshire for 2023 reboot show
- 8 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 9 Herts Ad Sunday League mourns passing of two local legends
- 10 Recap: Rail firm cancels trains due to Herts 'operational issue'
The Summer Camps are supported by The PFA and The Premiership via the Conference Trust Grant Scheme.