Winson eyes Olympic dream
BOXER Joe Winson fought his way to the silver medal on Saturday in the finals of the Royal Navy ABA Junior Championship at Everton Park, Liverpool. Winson, from Shenley, booked his place in the final with a fine semi final success in Gillingham,
BOXER Joe Winson fought his way to the silver medal on Saturday in the finals of the Royal Navy ABA Junior Championship at Everton Park, Liverpool.
Winson, from Shenley, booked his place in the final with a fine semi final success in Gillingham, but was defeated in his final bout by Antonio Counihan from Chelmsley Wood ABC.
The talented boxer is now setting his sights on a place in the London 2012 Olympics. Winson, aged 16, said: "I've boxed for England so I'm hoping to make it to London 2012."
Dating back to 1920, the Junior Championship has built up a reputation as being the top competition for young boxers aged 15 to 17. This year was the second of a five-year partnership between the Royal Navy and Royal Marines and the ABAE (Amateur Boxing Association England).
You may also want to watch:
Royal Navy Naval Recruiting Captain Chris Alcock OBE, said: "We're proud to continue our support for the Golden Gloves and Junior ABA Championships. The focus, determination and fitness shown by the young boxers reflected brilliantly the core values of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 8 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 9 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions