SSML Premier Division: Colney Heath go top while Harpenden Town and London Colney also win
- Credit: Archant
Colney Heath stormed to the top of the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division thanks to a 3-0 cruise against Dunstable Town.
This was the Magpies third successive league win and fourth in total this year after also beating Haverhill Rovers in the FA Cup extra-preliminary round.
They lead Aylesbury Vale Dynamos, the only other side still with a 100 per cent record, on goal difference.
This victory at the Recreation Ground in front of over 100 people came even after they lost experienced defender Danny May to injury, replaced by Callum Dudrenec.
But after weathering the early storm fairly comfortably, they took control and starting to put the Blues under considerable pressure.
You may also want to watch:
And after a couple of close calls for the visiting defence, Colney took the lead on 26 minutes with a through ball from Taylor Cobb freeing Chris Blunden to drill beyond Mackenzie Taylor.
The second arrived on the stroke of half-time and was a lovely solo goal from Spencer Clarke-Mardel.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 6 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 9 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 10 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
He won the ball 30 yards out and after riding numerous challenges he burst into the box and smashed the ball beyond Taylor.
He also provided the ball that almost made it 3-0 early in the second half but Jack Woods put his shot just wide of the post.
Taylor had to earn his corn throughout the half with a number of interventions and saves keeping Colney out but he was finally beaten by Jon Clements after a Woods corner had been headed back across goal by Clarke-Mardel.
Colney Heath's Development made it an even better day as they won 2-1 in their opening Herts Senior County League Premier Division fixture away to Chipperfield Corinthians.
Ciaran Yapp and Dean Thompson got the goals.
Elsewhere Harpenden Town made two league wins from three with a 2-1 victory over Leighton Town in their first home game of the season.
Jake Anthony put them in front and although Ash Campbell equalised, Harvey Scott bagged the winner late on for Martin Standen's men.
London Colney also won and in some style too as they beat Biggleswade United 4-1 at Cotlandswick.
Laurence Vaughan got two while there was one each for George Brinkman and Louis Octave.