Winning start for St Albans City with Concord Rangers success
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City got their Vanarama National League South campaign for 2016/2017 off to the perfect start with a 2-0 win over Concord Rangers.
It took City eight games last season to record their first victory but they needed just 90 minutes this time around.
Dipo Akinyemi set them on their way in the 33rd minute with a goal on his home debut and the win was sealed by Junior Morias in the final moments.
They didn’t have it all their own way, however, and it could have been so much different had an offside flag not prevented a Concord equaliser late on.
The win, for those who like this sort of thing, puts Saints into fifth position in the fledgling table, inside the play-off positions.
You may also want to watch:
They will look to capitalise on the good start when they head to Wealdstone tomorrow (Monday).
Meanwhile catch up with all the action from a sun-drenched Clarence Park thanks to photographers Leigh Page and Bob Walkley.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans