Winning start for St Albans City with Concord Rangers success
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City got their Vanarama National League South campaign for 2016/2017 off to the perfect start with a 2-0 win over Concord Rangers.
It took City eight games last season to record their first victory but they needed just 90 minutes this time around.
Dipo Akinyemi set them on their way in the 33rd minute with a goal on his home debut and the win was sealed by Junior Morias in the final moments.
They didn’t have it all their own way, however, and it could have been so much different had an offside flag not prevented a Concord equaliser late on.
The win, for those who like this sort of thing, puts Saints into fifth position in the fledgling table, inside the play-off positions.
They will look to capitalise on the good start when they head to Wealdstone tomorrow (Monday).
Meanwhile catch up with all the action from a sun-drenched Clarence Park thanks to photographers Leigh Page and Bob Walkley.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 7 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 8 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 9 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 10 MP condemns government over BBC threat