Winning start for St Albans City with Concord Rangers success
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City got their Vanarama National League South campaign for 2016/2017 off to the perfect start with a 2-0 win over Concord Rangers.
It took City eight games last season to record their first victory but they needed just 90 minutes this time around.
Dipo Akinyemi set them on their way in the 33rd minute with a goal on his home debut and the win was sealed by Junior Morias in the final moments.
They didn’t have it all their own way, however, and it could have been so much different had an offside flag not prevented a Concord equaliser late on.
The win, for those who like this sort of thing, puts Saints into fifth position in the fledgling table, inside the play-off positions.
You may also want to watch:
They will look to capitalise on the good start when they head to Wealdstone tomorrow (Monday).
Meanwhile catch up with all the action from a sun-drenched Clarence Park thanks to photographers Leigh Page and Bob Walkley.
- 1 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 2 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 3 Row over new barriers blocking path for wheelchair users
- 4 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 5 District's COVID cases fall below England's average for first time in a month
- 6 St Albans named among Britain’s hottest property markets
- 7 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 8 Row over charges for garden waste continues
- 9 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 10 Horse owner pleads with public not to feed equine