Winning mentality key to Colney Heath’s FA Cup success at Long Melford
- Credit: Archant
Two-goal hero Spencer Clarke-Mardel believes it was vital for Colney Heath to get the win at Long Melford in the FA Cup to continue their superb start to the season.
The 2-0 success in Suffolk was their fifth straight win since the start of the new season and even though the performance wasn't the best they have produced, it comes from a mentality honed over the years at other clubs.
He said: "Over the years when we were at London Colney we had that and some of the other boys had it when they were at Welwyn.
"It was important to keep up the momentum form our good start and to keep winning.
"We didn't play too well but as skipper I got two goals to help them out."
You may also want to watch:
The second saw him burst from a deeper position onto a long ball forward, before calmly lifting it over the keeper and into the empty net.
The first was from much closer in but needed the crossbar to guide it in.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 4 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 9 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
- 10 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
He joked: "It was with my left foot so I've took a swing at it and it's gone in off the underside of the bar.
"So it's all good.
"It's very good for the club and a little bit of money. Hopefully we'll get another long away trip in the next round."