Wingate and Finchley score late to earn draw with London Colney
- Credit: Archant
Wingate and Finchley scored a late equaliser to earn a 3-3 draw with London Colney.
The Ryman League Premier Division side needed a Mechak Williams goal at the death to salvage a draw against their lower-league opponents after trailing for 73 minutes.
Spencer Clarke-Mardel opened the scoring for the Blueboys, thundering a 30 yard shot past Wingate’s goalkeeper, Zaci Ouarra, who perhaps should have done better.
Colney were in the ascendency and only a fingertip save from Ouarra and the foot of the post denied them a second.
Their pressure eventually told and a long ball forward from James Lawrence found Jimmy Hill who pulled off an audacious chip to put the Blueboys two up.
You may also want to watch:
Karl Oliyide pulled a goal back from the penalty spot before Hill restored the two-goal advantage, curling the ball into the bottom corner while under pressure.
Wingate responded and Oliyide netted his second and then, with minutes to go, Williams drove the ball into the corner to level the game.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 6 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
London Colney’s pre-season continues tonight when they entertain Dunstable Town at Cotlandswick. Kick-off is 7.45pm. On Saturday, Edgware Town are the visitors, 3pm KO.
• Archie McClelland and Niall Lysaght scored for the reserves in Saturday’s 3-2 loss to Belstone.