Wingate and Finchley score late to earn draw with London Colney
- Credit: Archant
Wingate and Finchley scored a late equaliser to earn a 3-3 draw with London Colney.
The Ryman League Premier Division side needed a Mechak Williams goal at the death to salvage a draw against their lower-league opponents after trailing for 73 minutes.
Spencer Clarke-Mardel opened the scoring for the Blueboys, thundering a 30 yard shot past Wingate’s goalkeeper, Zaci Ouarra, who perhaps should have done better.
Colney were in the ascendency and only a fingertip save from Ouarra and the foot of the post denied them a second.
Their pressure eventually told and a long ball forward from James Lawrence found Jimmy Hill who pulled off an audacious chip to put the Blueboys two up.
Karl Oliyide pulled a goal back from the penalty spot before Hill restored the two-goal advantage, curling the ball into the bottom corner while under pressure.
Wingate responded and Oliyide netted his second and then, with minutes to go, Williams drove the ball into the corner to level the game.
- 1 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 2 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 3 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 4 Trains between St Albans and Luton cancelled due to fire
- 5 Day of fundraising for No Floor No More campaign
- 6 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 7 Village prepares for return of Scarecrow Festival after three years
- 8 Man threatened officers with 'bomb' at police station
- 9 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 10 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
London Colney’s pre-season continues tonight when they entertain Dunstable Town at Cotlandswick. Kick-off is 7.45pm. On Saturday, Edgware Town are the visitors, 3pm KO.
• Archie McClelland and Niall Lysaght scored for the reserves in Saturday’s 3-2 loss to Belstone.