Wingate and Finchley score late to earn draw with London Colney
- Credit: Archant
Wingate and Finchley scored a late equaliser to earn a 3-3 draw with London Colney.
The Ryman League Premier Division side needed a Mechak Williams goal at the death to salvage a draw against their lower-league opponents after trailing for 73 minutes.
Spencer Clarke-Mardel opened the scoring for the Blueboys, thundering a 30 yard shot past Wingate’s goalkeeper, Zaci Ouarra, who perhaps should have done better.
Colney were in the ascendency and only a fingertip save from Ouarra and the foot of the post denied them a second.
Their pressure eventually told and a long ball forward from James Lawrence found Jimmy Hill who pulled off an audacious chip to put the Blueboys two up.
You may also want to watch:
Karl Oliyide pulled a goal back from the penalty spot before Hill restored the two-goal advantage, curling the ball into the bottom corner while under pressure.
Wingate responded and Oliyide netted his second and then, with minutes to go, Williams drove the ball into the corner to level the game.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district
London Colney’s pre-season continues tonight when they entertain Dunstable Town at Cotlandswick. Kick-off is 7.45pm. On Saturday, Edgware Town are the visitors, 3pm KO.
• Archie McClelland and Niall Lysaght scored for the reserves in Saturday’s 3-2 loss to Belstone.