Wingate and Finchley score late to earn draw with London Colney
- Credit: Archant
Wingate and Finchley scored a late equaliser to earn a 3-3 draw with London Colney.
The Ryman League Premier Division side needed a Mechak Williams goal at the death to salvage a draw against their lower-league opponents after trailing for 73 minutes.
Spencer Clarke-Mardel opened the scoring for the Blueboys, thundering a 30 yard shot past Wingate’s goalkeeper, Zaci Ouarra, who perhaps should have done better.
Colney were in the ascendency and only a fingertip save from Ouarra and the foot of the post denied them a second.
Their pressure eventually told and a long ball forward from James Lawrence found Jimmy Hill who pulled off an audacious chip to put the Blueboys two up.
Karl Oliyide pulled a goal back from the penalty spot before Hill restored the two-goal advantage, curling the ball into the bottom corner while under pressure.
Wingate responded and Oliyide netted his second and then, with minutes to go, Williams drove the ball into the corner to level the game.
- 1 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 2 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 5 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 6 Red Door Recruitment share tips to help you land your dream job as they celebrate 15 years in business
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 10 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
London Colney’s pre-season continues tonight when they entertain Dunstable Town at Cotlandswick. Kick-off is 7.45pm. On Saturday, Edgware Town are the visitors, 3pm KO.
• Archie McClelland and Niall Lysaght scored for the reserves in Saturday’s 3-2 loss to Belstone.