Wilson brace sinks Saints

Youngster nets second half double to knock City out of Trophy

FA Trophy First Round

Dorchester Town 3 (Ryan Moss 46, Rico Wilson 49, 68)

St Albans City 0

RICO Wilson’s second half brace ended St Albans City’s interest in this year’s FA Trophy at the Avenue on Saturday.

The home side were already a goal ahead, courtesy of Ryan Moss’ 46th minute strike, when Wilson grabbed his first of the afternoon benefiting from his strike partner Moss’ pass to smash past Paul Bastock in the City goal.

The 18-year-old then wrapped up the scoring with a third 22 minutes from time, when Bastock spilled Steve Devlin’s corner and Wilson pounced to turn and fire home through a crowded penalty area to put a gloss on the result.

Most Read

It meant it was a losing start for Matt Hocking after the defender was handed his debut at left-back following his transfer from Boston Town on Friday afternoon. The experienced defender was one of four changes from the Saints’ last action, three weeks ago when they beat Staines Town 3-1 also in the FA Trophy. Out went Ben Martin, Pete Smith, the suspended Adam Everitt and Harry Beautyman who returned to parent club Leyton Orient at the end of his loan spell. Saints boss Steve Castle recalled Rob Magwood, James Fisher, Mark Peters and Hocking to plug the gaps but both sides struggled to get going in the first half after the enforced break for the weather.

First half chances were at a premium. Devlin stung the palms of Bastock with a cross-cum-shot that the City ‘keeper did well to push away.

Referee Adam Hopkins was forced to withdraw from the action with injury and was replaced by fourth official Damon McEllin with just 16 minutes gone.

Wilson probably should have done better when sent clear by skipper Mark Jermyn but the youngster rushed his effort and was denied by Bastock.

City’s only real chance of note saw Dorchester ‘keeper Simon Evans react smartly to smother Ollie Palmer’s cross after a deflection had seen the ball heading goalwards.

After an opening 45 minutes that had offered little in terms of goalmouth action the crowd had to wait all of 40 seconds of the second half for the home side to open the scoring.

There appeared little danger to the City goal when Jamie Gleeson knocked the ball into the path of Moss, but the Magpies striker notched his eighth goal of the campaign with a low effort from the edge of the box that found the bottom corner of Bastock’s net.

Goal number two came just three minutes later. Moss took advantage of some hesitancy by Peters to win the ball back tight to the byline and he crossed low for Wilson to sweep the ball home from close range.

City continued to struggle to create chances and it was the home side that went closest to adding to their tally.

Devlin flashed a free kick narrowly wide of the target from distance and the Magpies midfield man saw another effort turned behind from Bastock. From the resulting corner the home side grabbed the third and final goal when the City stopper spilled Devlin’s cross and Wilson reacted quickest to fire home.

Things could have got worse for City when Bastock raced from his goal and collided with Moss but replacement referee McEllin decided a yellow card and free kick was punishment enough for the City ‘keeper.

The defeat bought an end to City’s interest in cup competitions this season allowing them to focus on climbing off the foot of the Blue Square Bet South table starting with a trip to Woking next Saturday.

Dorchester Town: Evans; Critchell (Coutts 49), Walker, Bowles, Martin; Crittenden, Gleeson, Jermyn �, Devlin; Moss (Ford 83), Wilson.

Subs not used: Nodwell, White, Coward.

St Albans City: Bastock; Hocking, Peters, Frater, Hocking; Hutton (Se. Shields 60), Fisher, Magwood (A Martin 49), Mackie; Benjamin (Effiong 69), Palmer.

Subs not used: Dedman.

Referee: Adam Hopkins (Plymouth).