Williams tastes victory in Northampton
BADMINTON: A BUDDING badminton player from St Albans is celebrating after claiming victory at the National U15s Bronze Tournament in Northampton.
Duncan Williams only started playing the sport two years ago but made light work of his box, seeing off the challenge of players from Northamptonshire, Warwickshire and Yorkshire to qualify for the knockout stages.
The Beaumont School pupil was drawn against an opponent from Lincolnshire in the first knockout stage and booked his place in the quarter-finals with a 21-16 victory.
Duncan faced one of the home favourites in the quarter-finals and had to raise his game to see off his well-supported opponent 21-14 to set up a semi-final with another Northants based player.
The St Albans badminton ace took advantage of the mistakes made by his opponent to seal a 21-12 triumph and a place in the final.
The final pitted Duncan against one of the tournament’s favourites who had bought a lot of travelling support with him from Leicestershire.
Despite this Duncan made a storming start to the final and by the time the two players changed ends the St Albans youngster had opened up an 11-1 lead. The game featured some good rallies with some lovely drop shots from Duncan catching out his opponent each time. Duncan played really hard and with aggression to come out the worthy winner at 21-10. The 14-year-old’s reward for winning was more ranking points which saw him move up a grade to the Silver category.
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 4 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 7 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
- 8 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 9 St Albans SustFest events aim to boost local nature
- 10 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
The support Duncan received from the few Hertfordshire players that were there was fantastic and spurred him to his win.