Wilkins returns to racing for the first time this season
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden racer Andy Wilkins makes his return to the track this weekend.
The 45-year-old will race one of two cars for Team Pyro in the Michelin Clio Cup Race Series this weekend for the eighth and ninth rounds of the season at Brands Hatch Indy Circuit in Kent.
Wilkins, who embarked on his first full season in car racing last year iwith Team Pyro, makes a welcome return for the first time since the 2014 season finale and is aiming to simply enjoy his first weekend back behind the wheel of a potent Race Series Clio.
“The reason I haven’t raced so far this year is due to budget as a result of what I’m doing in my personal life – basically, I promised my wife I wouldn’t spend so much on my racing as we’re renovating our Victorian home which is a money pit,” he joked.
“I don’t have particularly high expectations for Brands as I’ll be racing against people with a lot more experience. I have set a personal goal of a lap in the 53 second bracket. In qualifying last year I did a 54.060 second lap so if I can find seven hundredths, I’ll be a happy man.
You may also want to watch:
“If I can keep with a few of the guys it’ll be good, I just want to enjoy it.”
Qualifying for rounds eight and nine at Brands Hatch will get underway at 11.05am on Saturday, with the first race of the weekend following at 3.20pm. Round nine is scheduled to begin at 11.30am on Sunday.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
Along with headline sponsors Michelin and Protyre, the Clio Cup Series is additionally supported by Ferodo and Safety Devices with further support for the Road Series from Monster Sport Europe.