Wilkins returns to racing for the first time this season
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden racer Andy Wilkins makes his return to the track this weekend.
The 45-year-old will race one of two cars for Team Pyro in the Michelin Clio Cup Race Series this weekend for the eighth and ninth rounds of the season at Brands Hatch Indy Circuit in Kent.
Wilkins, who embarked on his first full season in car racing last year iwith Team Pyro, makes a welcome return for the first time since the 2014 season finale and is aiming to simply enjoy his first weekend back behind the wheel of a potent Race Series Clio.
“The reason I haven’t raced so far this year is due to budget as a result of what I’m doing in my personal life – basically, I promised my wife I wouldn’t spend so much on my racing as we’re renovating our Victorian home which is a money pit,” he joked.
“I don’t have particularly high expectations for Brands as I’ll be racing against people with a lot more experience. I have set a personal goal of a lap in the 53 second bracket. In qualifying last year I did a 54.060 second lap so if I can find seven hundredths, I’ll be a happy man.
You may also want to watch:
“If I can keep with a few of the guys it’ll be good, I just want to enjoy it.”
Qualifying for rounds eight and nine at Brands Hatch will get underway at 11.05am on Saturday, with the first race of the weekend following at 3.20pm. Round nine is scheduled to begin at 11.30am on Sunday.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
Along with headline sponsors Michelin and Protyre, the Clio Cup Series is additionally supported by Ferodo and Safety Devices with further support for the Road Series from Monster Sport Europe.