Wickens at the double
Herts Senior County League Premier Division Sandridge Rovers 3 Bovingdon 1 TWO goals from Chris Wickens helped Sandridge Rovers blow away Aubrey Cup finalists Bovingdon in the Premier Division on Saturday.
Herts Senior County League Premier Division
Sandridge Rovers 3 Bovingdon 1
TWO goals from Chris Wickens helped Sandridge Rovers blow away Aubrey Cup finalists Bovingdon in the Premier Division on Saturday.
Midfielder Aaron Baker gave Sandridge the lead with a wind-assisted effort and manager Bob Fowler was delighted as Wickens pounced twice to make it 3-0 at half time. He said: "We took the lead with an Aaron Baker free kick from 45 yards which showed how strong the wind was. It was an indirect free kick but it just got a touch off the head of a defender. We gave the goal to Aaron. We knew going into half time that one goal was not enough and before half time we scored two in quick succession. Aaron Baker put in a great cross and Chris scored with a fantastic header. Tom Clark then broke into the box and squared it for Chris to net his bread-and-butter goal."
You may also want to watch:
Rovers were against the strong wind in the second half and put in a fine show. Clark was foiled by the goalkeeper and the excellent Neil Cannon was also denied. Stuart Love went close and in defence Jack Friend and Roy Spittles repelled everything, 'keeper Rob Munn handling well from set plays. Bovingdon finally broke through to pull one goal back late on in the second half.
Fowler praised Danny Osborne for his strong display. He said: "Danny came into the side recently and it is testament to his attitude. He gets on with it and has been that good that he keeps his place."
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 8 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 9 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 10 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
Sandridge host Hatfield Town in the derby clash on Saturday at the Spencer Recreation Ground.