Wheathampstead and St Albans West Indian play out draw
ON a windy day, Wheathampstead managed to come out with the majority of Saracens Herts League Division Three points in a bore draw away at St Albans West Indian.
After being asked to bat, Mark and Adam Winchester set about the bowling attack dispatching the bowlers to find themselves 50-0 off 13 overs before a humorous lbw decision saw the end of Adam for 24.
Mark battled through the innings though, ticking the score over nicely and hitting the boundaries regularly to finish with a fine 83 with support from Richard Winchester (27) and Ibby Walayat (25).
The Wheato batsmen kept their heads against some very hostile conditions out in the middle by smashing the late overs to finish on 208-8 with a great contribution from Chris Strivens who ended on 20 not out.
The teams had tea and when the game resumed it was the Wheato bowlers who struck early as Strivens (1-23) had Harvey caught at second slip for a duck. Jillani Ghulam bowled superbly to rip through the middle order and finish with 3-25 off his 15 overs when at 72-4 off 24 overs, St Albans West Indians decided to settle for the draw and block out.
You may also want to watch:
Great efforts from Steve Booth (1-15) and Adam Winchester (1-21) weren’t enough on a dead pitch as the innings ended on 115-6 off 47 overs.
With both teams looking for promotion, Wheato showed their dominance over their close rivals, controlling the game from start to finish and fully deserved the full 30 points.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 4 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 5 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 6 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 7 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 8 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 No cars mean children can play out in streets