A win is a win as Old Albanian break away doo hoodoo at Westcliff
- Credit: DANNY LOO
It wasn’t perfect but a win is a win and Old Albanian are entitled to be delighted to have won away from home for the first time this season with a 19-17 success at Westcliff.
The Southend-based rugby club have had a baptism of fire since their promotion last year but on the evidence of this match they are starting to come to terms with what is expected in the higher division.
he first half had many of the travelling supporters feeling it might be another fruitless away afternoon as the two tries from the hosts either side of Nic Defeo score gave them a 14-5 lead at the break.
OAs approach was better in the second quarter but it still took until the start of the second half for anything substantial to be claimed from the staunch Westcliff defence.
Skipper Jamie Townsend crossed the whitewash followed by Joe Butler with 10 minutes to go.
You may also want to watch:
A penalty lowered the margin to two but it was as close as the hosts would get despite two further kicks at goal.
- 1 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 8 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 9 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire