A win is a win as Old Albanian break away doo hoodoo at Westcliff
- Credit: DANNY LOO
It wasn’t perfect but a win is a win and Old Albanian are entitled to be delighted to have won away from home for the first time this season with a 19-17 success at Westcliff.
The Southend-based rugby club have had a baptism of fire since their promotion last year but on the evidence of this match they are starting to come to terms with what is expected in the higher division.
he first half had many of the travelling supporters feeling it might be another fruitless away afternoon as the two tries from the hosts either side of Nic Defeo score gave them a 14-5 lead at the break.
OAs approach was better in the second quarter but it still took until the start of the second half for anything substantial to be claimed from the staunch Westcliff defence.
Skipper Jamie Townsend crossed the whitewash followed by Joe Butler with 10 minutes to go.
You may also want to watch:
A penalty lowered the margin to two but it was as close as the hosts would get despite two further kicks at goal.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 4 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 A New York state of mind
- 7 Divers to visit de Havilland Aircraft Museum to see 'bouncing bomb' they raised from a Scottish loch
- 8 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 9 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
- 10 Alban Arena launches annual pantomime with Strictly Come Dancing star