Westcliff scoring spree leaves Tabard reeling
Tabard opened the scoring inside two minutes against a very strong Westcliff side on Saturday but a try scoring spree by Westcliff in the second half sealed Tabard’s fate as they were defeated 46-8.
The start caught everybody napping, especially Westcliff. Playing with the wind, Tabard pressurised Westcliff from the kick off and gained a lineout just inside their 22. Tabard won the line out and drove forcibly for the Westcliff line, who could do nothing to stop the charge and Cam O’Connor touched down for the try.
Tabard then played sensible rugby against a side that just ran everything, thwarting the Westcliff attacks with some sound defence and mounting their own attacks by keeping the ball tight.
Then Westcliff got their first try. A kick ahead bounced wildly and, although the Tabard fullback Elliot Hurrell managed to dive and get his hand on the ball, Westcliff collected the ball and scored the try, which was converted.
Tabard quickly responded with a penalty, kicked by stand off Jack Reilly, but before half-time Westcliff ran in two more tries to take a 24-8 lead.
You may also want to watch:
The second half was very much like the first with Tabard playing a tight game and defending tenaciously but Westcliff got an early try from Mhalba after they ran a short penalty. With 20 minutes left the match was sealed as Westcliff run in three quick tries, followed by another late on to inflate the score.
This Saturday, Tabard are at home to Diss, kick-off 2.15pm.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital