Westcliff scoring spree leaves Tabard reeling
Tabard opened the scoring inside two minutes against a very strong Westcliff side on Saturday but a try scoring spree by Westcliff in the second half sealed Tabard’s fate as they were defeated 46-8.
The start caught everybody napping, especially Westcliff. Playing with the wind, Tabard pressurised Westcliff from the kick off and gained a lineout just inside their 22. Tabard won the line out and drove forcibly for the Westcliff line, who could do nothing to stop the charge and Cam O’Connor touched down for the try.
Tabard then played sensible rugby against a side that just ran everything, thwarting the Westcliff attacks with some sound defence and mounting their own attacks by keeping the ball tight.
Then Westcliff got their first try. A kick ahead bounced wildly and, although the Tabard fullback Elliot Hurrell managed to dive and get his hand on the ball, Westcliff collected the ball and scored the try, which was converted.
Tabard quickly responded with a penalty, kicked by stand off Jack Reilly, but before half-time Westcliff ran in two more tries to take a 24-8 lead.
You may also want to watch:
The second half was very much like the first with Tabard playing a tight game and defending tenaciously but Westcliff got an early try from Mhalba after they ran a short penalty. With 20 minutes left the match was sealed as Westcliff run in three quick tries, followed by another late on to inflate the score.
This Saturday, Tabard are at home to Diss, kick-off 2.15pm.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'