Welch announces his arrival in game-saving style
- Credit: Archant
Joe Welch announced himself to St Albans City’s faithful with two vital saves in Tuesday’s 3-2 win over Staines Town.
The 25-year-old was a bit of an unknown entity between the sticks before the game. He picked up an ankle injury which meant he didn’t feature much in pre-season. And, in two games he did start – Stevenage and Hayes and Yeading – he wasn’t called upon that often, collecting one or two crosses but rarely being forced into what you might call a difficult save.
Against Staines, however, he put his skills on display and kept City in the game during the final 10 minutes when the hosts were threatening. Twice he tipped powerful shots around the post as the Saints clung to a 3-2 lead.
“Yeah, he got called upon,” said joint manager James Gray in his post-match interview.
“It was a difficult view point from where we were but when the shot flashed across the goal I thought it had gone wide but the referee gave a corner so he obviously got a hand on it and it was identical from the other side five minutes later.
You may also want to watch:
“I mean, we know what Joe gives us. Maybe the fans haven’t seen much of him but tonight he was big and strong, he claimed a few crosses from corners, eased the back four, punched a couple and his distribution was good.
“It will be a real confidence boost for him. He’s come in a new side and hasn’t played as much as he’d like because of injuries but tonight you can see the true value of what he’ll give us.”
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area