Weather puts pay to Greenwood Park’s promotion hopes
- Credit: Archant
A sensational 91 from Nasar Mahmood was in vain as the rain washed away Greenwood Park’s outside chances of promotion.
Having posted a hugely impressive 340-6 from 50 overs, Park were excellently poised for victory against Northampton Exiles 2nds at the halfway stage but the incoming weather meant no further play was possible.
At the start of the match, the Chiswell Green-based outfit needed a win – and second placed Datchworth to drop points – in order to seal back-to-back promotions but it was not to be as both games ended as no results.
With the bat, Greenwood finally delivered after a poor season of either setting or chasing a target, only collecting 7 batting points all year, with some significant contributions to their monstrous total.
Chris Kent completed his fine season with a nonchalant 47, finishing the year with 420 runs – averaging 38.18.
His effort was supported strongly by captain Sam Nash who made 39 but it was Mahmood who really shone.
The middle-order batsman produced a chanceless innings – displaying some brutal hitting as he recorded 91 in just 16 overs, including 13 fours and three sixes.
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 3 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 4 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 5 Taxi stopped with ‘tyre below legal tread depth’ on A41
- 6 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 7 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 8 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 10 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
Despite Mahmood’s effort, the climatic conditions stopped any potential final day drama in Division Eight B as Greenwood missed out on going up by just 17 points.