Wealdstone continue Saints’ poor run of form

James Kaloczi under pressure. Picture: Leigh Page

James Kaloczi under pressure. Picture: Leigh Page - Credit: Archant

St Albans City’s poor run of form continued as they suffered a 3-1 home defeat to Wealdstone.

Saints were going into the fixture full of confidence following their clash with Wealdstone earlier in the season where they ran out a handsome 3-0 victory. However it was just 90 seconds into the game when Wealdstone took the lead through a fantastic strike from the in-form Jefferson Louis. From outside the penalty box, Louis’s strike curled into the top corner, catching Saints napping and leaving keeper Joe Welch with little or no chance.

This led to a frantic fifteen minutes of football from Saints where nobody really knew what to do with the ball and a midfield which seemed non-existent. However Saints gradually started to settle into the game and their first real chance came from Jamal Lowe, forcing Wealdstone keeper, Luke Chambers to leap to his left and pull off his first of many great saves.

As the half progressed Saints became more fluent and chances were coming thick and fast. James Kaloczi’s disallowed goal from a Lee Chappell three-kick was soon followed by chances for Jamal Lowe with the assistance of John Frendo but on both occasions he failed to hit the target.

Wealdstone were still making chances themselves with Scott Davies firing one towards the bottom right corner which Welch was able to fend away.

Wealdstone’s lead was doubled early in the second half with a touch of class from Jefferson Louis. Just outside the six yard box Louis controlled the ball on his chest, swivelled like Darcey Bussell and volleyed it passed Welch. Déjà vu as Saints conceded again in the early stages of a half.

Nevertheless Saints were quick to respond with the new recruit Jake Nicholson jinking his way round the Wealdstone defence and unleashing a shot which seemed to be going wide, but John Frendo reacted instantly and was able to direct the unintentional pass towards goal, giving Saints their first of the afternoon. It was game on at Clarence Park.

Most Read

Saints were showing real urgency going forward but were lacking a clinical edge in the final third to really capitalise on the possession and opportunities they had. Chappell came close from a three-kick but Chambers produced another sublime save high to his right.

Unfortunately with twenty minutes to go and with Saints looking dangerous the referee, Andy Laver, pulled up with cramp causing a five minute time out which the Wealdstone faithful took full advantage of, sparking basic but amusing chanting.

Soon after and from nowhere Wealdstone increased their lead with the aid of Louis again, who picked it up from the half way line and was able to shrug off Omar Beckles with ease and deliver a cross into the six yard box which Scott Davies placed in the bottom right corner.

Here on in Saints were chasing the game and even with nine minutes additional time following the referee’s injury they were unable to create any real chances. In many ways the score line was not a fair reflection of the game, however, the difference between the two sides was in the final third. Whilst Saints had far more chances than Wealdstone, they were able to put the ball in the back of the net. If you fail to put away your chances which Saints had in abundance, especially in the first half you cannot be surprised if you come away without a point.