We deserved three points, says Gray
- Credit: Archant
St Albans City joint manager James Gray believes his side deserved three points against Bishop’s Stortford despite not firing on all cylinders.
James Comley scored his second goal in as many games to cap a dominating opening 30 minutes for St Albans, but when Spencer McCall equaliser for the visitors in the 35th minute it turned the tide of the game.
Stortford were asking all the questions but they failed to take advantage of the pressure, allowing Saints skipper Ben Martin to steal a winner.
After the game, Gray said: “We didn’t fire too much today but we managed to get the result. It’s a results business and nine points from 12 sets us up nicely for Eastbourne on Monday.
“We started really well; we got on the ball and played it around nicely but the injury to [Sam] Corcoran set us back because he was making things happening centrally and getting momentum going forward.
“We got a good goal from Comley but they equalised against the run of play – it was a sloppy one to concede for us. It was difficult to get momentum again and up to half-time they were the better side.
“We changed it early, bringing on Sean Shields and Loick Pires and took the momentum from them, apart from a couple of scary incidents in the second half, and we deserved three points, albeit without playing our best.”
- 1 Property Spotlight: See inside this stunning £2.1m period home in St Albans
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 4 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 5 St Albans MP unveils new state-of-the art teaching centre as part of multi-million pound Oaklands College redevelopment
- 6 Where and when can you see Santa's float in Harpenden?
- 7 Saints get another National League South rival after draw for FA Trophy
- 8 Sing out for Christmas with Clarence Park carol service
- 9 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 10 1,000 new homes planned next to village