We deserved come-from-behind victory over Hadley - Gray

Alex Yearwood impressed after coming on in the second half and set up St Albans' third goal. Picture

Alex Yearwood impressed after coming on in the second half and set up St Albans' third goal. Picture: Bob Walkley - Credit: Archant

St Albans City joint manager James Gray called Tuesday’s Herts Senior Cup win a thoroughly entertaining game and believes his side deserved their come-from-behind victory.

A sense of déjà vu rang around Clarence Park as Hadley’s Dom Petrucci scored from the penalty and then doubled his tally with a stunning strike from all of 40 yards to put his side two-up.

In the previous round St Albans overturned a three-goal deficit against Cheshunt thanks to a very good second-half performance, and it was the same story against Hadley. A goal before half-time from John Frendo set up the comeback, which was capped by the same man after trialist Michael Malcolm had found the net.

“I thought we started well and dominated possession but their first goal put us on the back foot and then they scored the second and we were rocking for a little bit,” said Gray. “We managed to weather that and to get the goal really settled us and in the second half we were the dominate side.

“They are a very good side. They moved the ball, passed out from the back. It was an entertaining game. All in all, it’s about wining games of football and we managed to do that.”

Gray and Graham Golds tinkered with the side, starting trialists Malcolm and Connor Roberts, while Stepehen O’Hara made the bench. James Kaloczi and Jack Green were also in the first 11 while Alex Yearwood just missed out.

Assessing his players, Gray added: “Michael Malcolm’s movement was decent and he got a little touch for the goal. He played down the middle in the first half and made great runs in behind but we never got the ball to him. His touch and movement in the second half created quite a bit for us. He was unfortunate not to get a couple more.

Most Read

“Connor Roberts played really well, in the second half especially; Alex Yearwood threatened them with his pace and movement; Jack Green was outstanding; and [David] Keenleyside linked up well and played a great pass for Alex [Yearwood] for the third goal.”

Boreham Wood, who beat Stevenage 5-3, are the only other confirmed semi-finalists. Hemel Hempstead’s tie against Watford and Leverstock Green’s game with Berkhamsted were postponed due to waterlogged pitches.