Watton named Tangerines captain
- Credit: Archant
England international Ellie Watton has been named at St Albans Hockey Club’s ladies’ first-team captain for the 2015/16 season.
Watton, who is a Commonwealth Games silver medallist, is entering her second year with the Tangerines.
The club has also revealed that Sarah Embrey, another England player, will be the ladies’ club captain.
Hannah Macleod, the ladies’ head coach, said: “We are currently going through an exciting period of change at the club and we have worked hard in the off-season to ensure this momentum continues. Current Great Britain and England international Ellie Watton has been appointed 1st team captain with Amy Kee and Emma O’Nien appointed vice-captains.
“With this strong leadership group driving the team forward, we are once again looking forward to challenging for the top spot in the league this season.”
You may also want to watch:
St Albans Hockey Club has appointed Martin Scanlon as club head coach. He has represented England at all junior levels and played for Great Britain U21s during the 2009 Youth Olympics in Australia. He won the English Premier League twice with Beeston Hockey Club.
His brother Ian, who is a former England U21 goalkeeper, will be joining the club this year as an outfield player.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
The men’s first-team head coach, Andy Halliday, added: “We expect another tough year ahead, many of the teams around us have strengthened. However, the addition of the Scanlon brothers and the development of a positive culture and structure around the top of the club should see us challenging for promotion once again for that coveted National League place.”
Club training for men and ladies starts at 7.30pm on Wednesday, August 19 at Oaklands College. New members are welcome.