Watford held by St Albans City

Louie Theophanous was captain for St Albans City against Watford. Picture: LEIGH PAGE

Louie Theophanous was captain for St Albans City against Watford. Picture: LEIGH PAGE - Credit: Archant

St Albans City continued their pre-season preparations with a goal-less affair against Watford.

It followed the 0-0 draw at Kings Langley on Tuesday night.

Whether the heat or the fact it is still early in the season accounted for the lack of goalmouth action is unclear. But neither side could fashion many opportunities, despite plenty of probing.

The first half was definitely one of few chances.

Ola Adeyemo fired over after Andrew Iwediuno had been caught in possession and Shaun Lucien had two shots go wide.

Other than that it was more notable for how St Albans were lined-up.

Junior Morias started up front with Lucien as the second striker just in behind.

Most Read

Louie Theophanous and Rhys Hoenes started wide although City’s top scorer did come inside on occasions and eventually swapped with Lucien.

The long crossfield ball to the right wing looks as if it could be a feature of Saints play this year as they look to harness the pace of Hoenes.

Tom Bender, Scott Thomas and Junior Morias all tried it, with the latter’s allowing the winger to cut in & only narrowly avoid finding a head in the middle.

The front four for City did show glimpses that, with a bit more time, they could get a decent understanding.

For now though it isn’t quite there.

City made three changes at the break with Sam Merson making his debut.

And the son of Arsenal legend Paul made sure it was a memorable one.

He had a great chance to make it a goalscoring start, but he fired over when the ball ran to him in the box.

And he was inches away from connecting with a cross, which hit a surprised Josh Hill and went wide.

But that was it; the new signing from Redditch hobbled off after just 22 minutes.

Another sub, Matt Whichelow, brought the only save of note in the game, curling one towards the top corner which the Watford trialist in goal tipped round the post.

The game finished 10-a-side with the referee refusing to allow rolling substitutes.

And City’s sub goalkeeper David Triviano made two blocks right at the death to preserve parity.

City: Russell (Triviano 78), Herd, Bender, Hoenes (Whichelow 46), Hill, Iwediuno, Lucien (Londono 78), Rees (Gibson 46), Theophanous, Morias (Merson 46, Kelly 67), S.Thomas


Watford: Trialist (A.Thomas 67), Eleftheriou, Trialist (Ryan 67), Stewart, Murray, Stevens (Huja 46), Ovenden (Folivi 46), Jukubiak (Trialist 46), Adeyemo (Trialist 46), Pereira (Obi 46), Belkalem


Att: 463

Referee: Mick Russell