Watford and St Albans City play out stalemate
ST ALBANS City continued their pre-season campaign tonight (Wednesday) with a 0-0 draw against a young Watford XI, watched from the stands by the Hornets new first team manager Gianfranco Zola.
An encouraging first period saw the visitors enjoy the better of the early openings with Matty Whichelow firing straight at City keeper Nick Hardy and then off target.
For City defender Danny Gordon headed Richard Graham’s corner high and wide.
Graham turned creator again moments later this time spraying a ball from the left flank across the box which Chris Henry smashed out for a throw-in.
Just before the break Hardy made two fine stops firstly turning Whichelow’s attempt around the post and he did likewise to deny Aaron Tumwa.
You may also want to watch:
On the stroke of half-time Whichelow then hit the side-netting when well placed.
After the break Watford again started the stronger and last ditch blocks by Anton Blackwood, Hardy and Layne Eadie kept the score level.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 5 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 8 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 9 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 10 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
The Hornets looked like they had taken the lead when Luke O’Nien drove past Hardy, however Matt Taylor cleared off the line.
A raft of substitutions disrupted the flow of the clash, counter-attacks for both sides failed to lead to a goal.
In fact the closest the game came to seeing a goal in the dying stages was when a Watford defender crashed a clearance into Sean Shields and the ball rebounded just wide of the left hand post.
The Saints entertain a Chelsea XI at Clarence Park on Saturday.