Watford and St Albans City play out stalemate
ST ALBANS City continued their pre-season campaign tonight (Wednesday) with a 0-0 draw against a young Watford XI, watched from the stands by the Hornets new first team manager Gianfranco Zola.
An encouraging first period saw the visitors enjoy the better of the early openings with Matty Whichelow firing straight at City keeper Nick Hardy and then off target.
For City defender Danny Gordon headed Richard Graham’s corner high and wide.
Graham turned creator again moments later this time spraying a ball from the left flank across the box which Chris Henry smashed out for a throw-in.
Just before the break Hardy made two fine stops firstly turning Whichelow’s attempt around the post and he did likewise to deny Aaron Tumwa.
On the stroke of half-time Whichelow then hit the side-netting when well placed.
After the break Watford again started the stronger and last ditch blocks by Anton Blackwood, Hardy and Layne Eadie kept the score level.
- 1 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 4 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 5 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 6 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 7 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 10 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
The Hornets looked like they had taken the lead when Luke O’Nien drove past Hardy, however Matt Taylor cleared off the line.
A raft of substitutions disrupted the flow of the clash, counter-attacks for both sides failed to lead to a goal.
In fact the closest the game came to seeing a goal in the dying stages was when a Watford defender crashed a clearance into Sean Shields and the ball rebounded just wide of the left hand post.
The Saints entertain a Chelsea XI at Clarence Park on Saturday.