Watford and St Albans City play out stalemate
ST ALBANS City continued their pre-season campaign tonight (Wednesday) with a 0-0 draw against a young Watford XI, watched from the stands by the Hornets new first team manager Gianfranco Zola.
An encouraging first period saw the visitors enjoy the better of the early openings with Matty Whichelow firing straight at City keeper Nick Hardy and then off target.
For City defender Danny Gordon headed Richard Graham’s corner high and wide.
Graham turned creator again moments later this time spraying a ball from the left flank across the box which Chris Henry smashed out for a throw-in.
Just before the break Hardy made two fine stops firstly turning Whichelow’s attempt around the post and he did likewise to deny Aaron Tumwa.
On the stroke of half-time Whichelow then hit the side-netting when well placed.
After the break Watford again started the stronger and last ditch blocks by Anton Blackwood, Hardy and Layne Eadie kept the score level.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 3 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 4 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 5 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 6 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 7 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 8 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 9 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
- 10 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
The Hornets looked like they had taken the lead when Luke O’Nien drove past Hardy, however Matt Taylor cleared off the line.
A raft of substitutions disrupted the flow of the clash, counter-attacks for both sides failed to lead to a goal.
In fact the closest the game came to seeing a goal in the dying stages was when a Watford defender crashed a clearance into Sean Shields and the ball rebounded just wide of the left hand post.
The Saints entertain a Chelsea XI at Clarence Park on Saturday.