Wanderers enjoy Global domination
Gibson hat-trick sets up win
N&M Herts Premier Division
St Albans Wanderers 5
IN a fixture that is steeped in local rivalry, Wanderers came out clear winners.
You may also want to watch:
Despite Shaun Gibson adding a hat-trick to his brace the week before, it was Rich Francis who was man-of-the-match, with his battling approach continually unsettling the home defence.
The first half saw the two teams adopt different methods of playing; Global relying upon a long ball game and Wanderers working the ball through their midfield trio.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 4 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 5 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 8 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 Demystifying the press release: How to submit your stories to the Herts Ad
It was the away team who had the clearer of the chances in the first half an hour, with Jake Attwood shooting just wide and Marc Winch firing over. However, at the other end, Dan Upwood looked unbeatable as Global counter-attacked.
The game remained goal-less until 12 minutes into the second half, when Francis won the ball out wide and crossed low for Gibson to tap in.
The in-form Gibson added the second 20 minutes later, when he fired in from the narrowest of angles.
Francis gained his reward when, not for the first time, he chased what appeared to be a lost cause, forcing the ball in from close range.
Gibson staked his claim to the match ball, firing in after a strong run through the centre.
The Wanderers defence also had an afternoon to be proud of and so it was appropriate that centre-back Tim Attwood should score a fifth goal, from the penalty spot in the 90th minute.
After a fine start to their league campaign, Wanderers turn their attention to the Junior Cup this Saturday, entertaining Hertford Heath at Westminster Lodge, 2.30pm ko.