Wanderers enjoy Global domination
Gibson hat-trick sets up win
N&M Herts Premier Division
St Albans Wanderers 5
IN a fixture that is steeped in local rivalry, Wanderers came out clear winners.
You may also want to watch:
Despite Shaun Gibson adding a hat-trick to his brace the week before, it was Rich Francis who was man-of-the-match, with his battling approach continually unsettling the home defence.
The first half saw the two teams adopt different methods of playing; Global relying upon a long ball game and Wanderers working the ball through their midfield trio.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
It was the away team who had the clearer of the chances in the first half an hour, with Jake Attwood shooting just wide and Marc Winch firing over. However, at the other end, Dan Upwood looked unbeatable as Global counter-attacked.
The game remained goal-less until 12 minutes into the second half, when Francis won the ball out wide and crossed low for Gibson to tap in.
The in-form Gibson added the second 20 minutes later, when he fired in from the narrowest of angles.
Francis gained his reward when, not for the first time, he chased what appeared to be a lost cause, forcing the ball in from close range.
Gibson staked his claim to the match ball, firing in after a strong run through the centre.
The Wanderers defence also had an afternoon to be proud of and so it was appropriate that centre-back Tim Attwood should score a fifth goal, from the penalty spot in the 90th minute.
After a fine start to their league campaign, Wanderers turn their attention to the Junior Cup this Saturday, entertaining Hertford Heath at Westminster Lodge, 2.30pm ko.