Wanderers bow out
Extra-time disappointment for St Albans Wanderers
Herts Junior Cup First Round
St Albans Wanderers 4
Hertford Heath 6 (AET)
DESPITE maintaining their record of scoring at least four goals in every game this season, Wanderers crashed out of the Junior Cup in extra time on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
The St Albans team had a much changed appearance to the one sent out the week before, however, new boy John Paton helped himself to a brace within the first 15 minutes.
Hertford Heath pulled one back before half-time, when Jordan Knights fired in and Ollie Babbidge then grabbed an equaliser as Heath began to claw their way back into the game.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 5 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 6 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 7 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 8 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 9 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 10 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
Paton added a third to his tally shortly afterwards, but the visitors took the game into extra time with a second from Babbidge.
Paton scored his fourth - from the penalty spot - in the 95th minute and the home side looked to be heading through to the next round. However, Grant Turville fired home from long range to set up a dramatic finish.
Wanderers’ Michael Gubay-Smith hit the post with a classy scissor kick and then fired just over with only the ‘keeper to beat, but Hertford Heath proved to be more clinical, scoring two in the dying minutes as Babbidge and Mason finished.
Wanderers now have to pick themselves up for a top of the table clash, against Potters Bar Crusaders at Westminster Lodge on Saturday, KO 2pm.