Wanderers begin with a bang
North & Mid Herts Premier
St Albans Wanderers 5 Asia FC 1
AUGMENTED by a number of new signings, Wanderers kicked off the new season with a convincing win, opening the scoring after only five minutes when Shaun Gibson fired home following slick interplay.
The hosts continued to press and the second goal followed in the 10th minute when Steve Brand collected a half-cleared ball and drilled it back past the Asia ‘keeper.
On the half-hour mark, new boy Harry Honeywood fired home the third, after which Wanderers seemed to be heading for a cricket score, with Mike Gubay-Smith twice hitting the woodwork.
Asia pulled a goal back immediately after half-time, when a free kick was only parried by the home ‘keeper. Marvin Brooks was the quickest to the ball, tapping in from close in.
Wanderers were stirred by the opposition’s reply and mounted a wave of attacks, resulting in a second goal from Man of the Match Gibson and Carl Fadhel.
- 1 Trains between St Albans and Luton cancelled due to fire
- 2 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 3 Motorbike strikes barrier on North Orbital Road near St Albans
- 4 Man threatened officers with 'bomb' at police station
- 5 Alex Lankshear goes pro after leaving St Albans City for a Championship side
- 6 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 7 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 8 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 9 Cool off at London Colney's new Watersplash
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Another home game follows this Saturday (10.03.11), when Tansley FC are the visitors to Verulamium, kick off 2.30pm.