Wanderers begin with a bang
North & Mid Herts Premier
St Albans Wanderers 5 Asia FC 1
AUGMENTED by a number of new signings, Wanderers kicked off the new season with a convincing win, opening the scoring after only five minutes when Shaun Gibson fired home following slick interplay.
The hosts continued to press and the second goal followed in the 10th minute when Steve Brand collected a half-cleared ball and drilled it back past the Asia ‘keeper.
On the half-hour mark, new boy Harry Honeywood fired home the third, after which Wanderers seemed to be heading for a cricket score, with Mike Gubay-Smith twice hitting the woodwork.
You may also want to watch:
Asia pulled a goal back immediately after half-time, when a free kick was only parried by the home ‘keeper. Marvin Brooks was the quickest to the ball, tapping in from close in.
Wanderers were stirred by the opposition’s reply and mounted a wave of attacks, resulting in a second goal from Man of the Match Gibson and Carl Fadhel.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 8 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 9 St Albans Folk Festival 2021 to go ahead this weekend
- 10 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
Another home game follows this Saturday (10.03.11), when Tansley FC are the visitors to Verulamium, kick off 2.30pm.