Wanderers begin with a bang
North & Mid Herts Premier
St Albans Wanderers 5 Asia FC 1
AUGMENTED by a number of new signings, Wanderers kicked off the new season with a convincing win, opening the scoring after only five minutes when Shaun Gibson fired home following slick interplay.
The hosts continued to press and the second goal followed in the 10th minute when Steve Brand collected a half-cleared ball and drilled it back past the Asia ‘keeper.
On the half-hour mark, new boy Harry Honeywood fired home the third, after which Wanderers seemed to be heading for a cricket score, with Mike Gubay-Smith twice hitting the woodwork.
You may also want to watch:
Asia pulled a goal back immediately after half-time, when a free kick was only parried by the home ‘keeper. Marvin Brooks was the quickest to the ball, tapping in from close in.
Wanderers were stirred by the opposition’s reply and mounted a wave of attacks, resulting in a second goal from Man of the Match Gibson and Carl Fadhel.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 5 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 9 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 10 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
Another home game follows this Saturday (10.03.11), when Tansley FC are the visitors to Verulamium, kick off 2.30pm.