Wanderers begin with a bang
North & Mid Herts Premier
St Albans Wanderers 5 Asia FC 1
AUGMENTED by a number of new signings, Wanderers kicked off the new season with a convincing win, opening the scoring after only five minutes when Shaun Gibson fired home following slick interplay.
The hosts continued to press and the second goal followed in the 10th minute when Steve Brand collected a half-cleared ball and drilled it back past the Asia ‘keeper.
On the half-hour mark, new boy Harry Honeywood fired home the third, after which Wanderers seemed to be heading for a cricket score, with Mike Gubay-Smith twice hitting the woodwork.
Asia pulled a goal back immediately after half-time, when a free kick was only parried by the home ‘keeper. Marvin Brooks was the quickest to the ball, tapping in from close in.
Wanderers were stirred by the opposition’s reply and mounted a wave of attacks, resulting in a second goal from Man of the Match Gibson and Carl Fadhel.
- 1 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 2 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 3 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 4 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 5 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 6 Red Door Recruitment share tips to help you land your dream job as they celebrate 15 years in business
- 7 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Removing asbestos from Arena will cost £250,000
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
Another home game follows this Saturday (10.03.11), when Tansley FC are the visitors to Verulamium, kick off 2.30pm.