Wales’ super strike at Staines is goal of the season
- Credit: Archant
Welch doubles up and commerical manager takes club award
Steve Wales superb winner against Staines Town is St Albans City’s goal of the season.
In just their third game of the season, the Saints trailed the Swans 2-0 before Wales and John Frendo hauled them back on level terms. Then, with the game delicately poised, Wales, on the right, smashed a looping volley over the goalkeeper to hand St Albans their first away win of the season.
Skip forward to 3:10 to see the goal in the video above.
Goalkeeper Joe Welch added the players’ player award to the player of the year title, voted for by the fans, to cap an impressive first year at the club.
You may also want to watch:
The Wagstaffe Simmons award, presented to the person supporters think has done the most for the club over the season, went to Tom Norman, the club’s commercial manager.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 4 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 5 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 6 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 7 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 8 A New York state of mind
- 9 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 10 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity