Visitors left hacked off as St Albans pick up big win
- Credit: Archant
A controlled and disciplined performance saw St Albans upset high-flying Hackney with a fantastic 14-7 London North West Three win.
The results, gained thanks to tries from Ed Mason and Dan Satchell, sees Saints move up to seventh, 10 points above the relegation zone.
Hackney remain in third position.
Although the game was played in difficult conditions both sides contributed to an entertaining match.
The first half ended in stalemate, with St Albans creating the better chances but without the ability to find that finishing touch.
You may also want to watch:
In the second period Saints maintained the pressure and were justly rewarded when Mason crossed the visitors’ line for a hard worked try, converted by Mark Kentish.
St Albans didn’t allow Hackney the time or space to get into any sort of fluency and kept a tight rein on their attacking aspirations.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 8 Olympic legend Denise Lewis unveils inspirational mural in St Albans
- 9 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
They increased their lead when after a fine handling move, Satchell scooting over for an excellent score which Kentish again converted.
Hackney knew they had to fight their way back into the game and scored a good try which was duly converted.
But as Hackney piled on the pressure, St Albans were able to weather the storm thanks to some resolute defending to claim a vital win.
A trip to ninth-placed Old Actonians awaits this weekend with both sides looking for a positive result to move further clear of the bottom two.