VIDEO: Saints through to Herts Charity Cup semi-final
- Credit: Archant
JOHN Frendo produced a sublime free-kick in stoppage time to book St Albans City a place in the semi-final of the Herts Charity Cup.
City fell two goals behind Hemel Hempstead Town early in the second half, and looked to be heading out of the tournament they won last season, before constructing a stunning comeback.
Aston Goss got the comeback going, linking up with James Comley, who had a superb second half, before smashing the ball into the net from 25 yards to half the deficit.
The Saints were in the ascendency but it took the introduction of Henry to level the game. The speedy winger caused chaos for Hemel and duly scored for City, reacting fastest to Ben Matin’s header which hit the bar from a corner to tap the ball home.
At 2-2, and with the game seemingly headed for penalties, Frendo stepped up to win the game. The former Hitchin Town striker had a pedestrian second half after missing four good chances in the first but showed his eye for goal when it counted.
You may also want to watch:
From 25 yards out on the right of the box, Frendo curled the ball into the far corner to send City through to the semi-final.
Highlights by Dave Tavener
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 8 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 9 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 10 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival