VIDEO: Saints through to Herts Charity Cup semi-final
- Credit: Archant
JOHN Frendo produced a sublime free-kick in stoppage time to book St Albans City a place in the semi-final of the Herts Charity Cup.
City fell two goals behind Hemel Hempstead Town early in the second half, and looked to be heading out of the tournament they won last season, before constructing a stunning comeback.
Aston Goss got the comeback going, linking up with James Comley, who had a superb second half, before smashing the ball into the net from 25 yards to half the deficit.
The Saints were in the ascendency but it took the introduction of Henry to level the game. The speedy winger caused chaos for Hemel and duly scored for City, reacting fastest to Ben Matin’s header which hit the bar from a corner to tap the ball home.
At 2-2, and with the game seemingly headed for penalties, Frendo stepped up to win the game. The former Hitchin Town striker had a pedestrian second half after missing four good chances in the first but showed his eye for goal when it counted.
You may also want to watch:
From 25 yards out on the right of the box, Frendo curled the ball into the far corner to send City through to the semi-final.
Highlights by Dave Tavener
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 4 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 5 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 9 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 10 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner