Victory for Maddy Davies and Saxon Tigers at Futures Cup
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club’s Maddy Davies and her Saxon Tigers team-mates picked up the overall win at the U18 Futures Cup.
The tournament, held at Davies’ home ground of Oaklands College, is part of the player pathway for England Hockey and saw six teams from across the country competing for the title.
Tigers came out on top with a 6-3 win against Wessex Leopards in the final.
Speaking to England Hockey, performance director Ed Barney said: “Futures Cup has provided an excellent best versus best tournament environment. Our sincere thanks goes to St Albans Hockey Club and Oaklands College, not forgetting the small army of volunteers who have made a significant contribution to put on a quality event.”
The tournament meant that all St Albans Hockey Club home games were cancelled.
However, there were successes elsewhere.
The men’s 1sts and 6ths both won 4-0, against Dereham and Bedford respectively, while in the women’s section the 2nds beat Wisbech Town 3-1 thanks to Viki Trumpess, Em Thompson and Jo Martin.
- 1 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 4 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 7 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
The 4ths defeated Stevenage 2-1, Charlotte Moore and Freya Burley getting the goals.