Victory for Maddy Davies and Saxon Tigers at Futures Cup
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club’s Maddy Davies and her Saxon Tigers team-mates picked up the overall win at the U18 Futures Cup.
The tournament, held at Davies’ home ground of Oaklands College, is part of the player pathway for England Hockey and saw six teams from across the country competing for the title.
Tigers came out on top with a 6-3 win against Wessex Leopards in the final.
Speaking to England Hockey, performance director Ed Barney said: “Futures Cup has provided an excellent best versus best tournament environment. Our sincere thanks goes to St Albans Hockey Club and Oaklands College, not forgetting the small army of volunteers who have made a significant contribution to put on a quality event.”
The tournament meant that all St Albans Hockey Club home games were cancelled.
You may also want to watch:
However, there were successes elsewhere.
The men’s 1sts and 6ths both won 4-0, against Dereham and Bedford respectively, while in the women’s section the 2nds beat Wisbech Town 3-1 thanks to Viki Trumpess, Em Thompson and Jo Martin.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
The 4ths defeated Stevenage 2-1, Charlotte Moore and Freya Burley getting the goals.