Victory for Maddy Davies and Saxon Tigers at Futures Cup
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Hockey Club’s Maddy Davies and her Saxon Tigers team-mates picked up the overall win at the U18 Futures Cup.
The tournament, held at Davies’ home ground of Oaklands College, is part of the player pathway for England Hockey and saw six teams from across the country competing for the title.
Tigers came out on top with a 6-3 win against Wessex Leopards in the final.
Speaking to England Hockey, performance director Ed Barney said: “Futures Cup has provided an excellent best versus best tournament environment. Our sincere thanks goes to St Albans Hockey Club and Oaklands College, not forgetting the small army of volunteers who have made a significant contribution to put on a quality event.”
The tournament meant that all St Albans Hockey Club home games were cancelled.
You may also want to watch:
However, there were successes elsewhere.
The men’s 1sts and 6ths both won 4-0, against Dereham and Bedford respectively, while in the women’s section the 2nds beat Wisbech Town 3-1 thanks to Viki Trumpess, Em Thompson and Jo Martin.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 3 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 4 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 5 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 6 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 7 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
The 4ths defeated Stevenage 2-1, Charlotte Moore and Freya Burley getting the goals.