Unforced errors combine as Verulamians suffer morale blow in relegation battle
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians let a golden opportunity to climb the London Three North West slip through their hands as they fell to a 35-19 loss to fellow strugglers Royston.
They led 12-11 at half-time and the crowd at Cotlandswick sensed a rare win with Vees playing with cohesion and producing a fine display of running rugby.
But a succession of dropped passes and missed tackles handed the visitors three quick tries and although the forwards contrived to bag a third Vees score that momentarily raised hope, it proved not enough.
Joe Seymour got their best try in the first-half after good interplay between Josh Lawrence and Ben Russell but with results elsewhere going against them, their situation at the foot of the table looks bleak.
They are seven points adrift of Finchley and 12 away from safety with just seven games to go.
You may also want to watch:
They return to action on February 9 away to promotion-chasing Stevenage Town.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 8 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire