Unforced errors combine as Verulamians suffer morale blow in relegation battle
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians let a golden opportunity to climb the London Three North West slip through their hands as they fell to a 35-19 loss to fellow strugglers Royston.
They led 12-11 at half-time and the crowd at Cotlandswick sensed a rare win with Vees playing with cohesion and producing a fine display of running rugby.
But a succession of dropped passes and missed tackles handed the visitors three quick tries and although the forwards contrived to bag a third Vees score that momentarily raised hope, it proved not enough.
Joe Seymour got their best try in the first-half after good interplay between Josh Lawrence and Ben Russell but with results elsewhere going against them, their situation at the foot of the table looks bleak.
They are seven points adrift of Finchley and 12 away from safety with just seven games to go.
You may also want to watch:
They return to action on February 9 away to promotion-chasing Stevenage Town.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 7 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans