Some good individual performances but Verulamians miss out on hoped for win at Cheshunt
- Credit: Archant
It was ringed in the calendar as one to target but it ended with Verulamians going down to a 39-15 loss against Cheshunt.
The hosts had started the day just a few places above Vees but with a number of the visitors playing out of position, a good fight was all they could manage.
There were still many positives, with a number of fine individual performances, and they were still in touch just before half-time at 17-15.
Joe Seymour and Josh Lawence both scored strong, aggressively run tries and 19-year-old James Ryan and Charlie Woods-Jones both had impressive games.
The return of Tim Fretter also added some necessary punch alongside Joe Baker and Sam Perry and Callum Porter was in imperious form at the line-out.
You may also want to watch:
But some missed tackles and wayward kicking, coupled with a fleet-footed home full-back, left Vees second best.
They go to league leaders London Welsh on Saturday, December 1, in their next game.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall