Battling display at Saracens from the spirited youngsters of Verulamians
- Credit: Archant
A young Verulamians side produced a battling display in a narrow 11-0 loss away to Saracens Amateurs in Herts Middlesex Division One.
Nine of the Vees' side were aged 22 or under but they gave as good as they got even if the more-experienced Sarries side enjoyed better fortunes in the set-pieces.
The visitors started with a lot of carries putting Saracens under pressure but the deserved try never materialised and gradually the home side started to crawl their way back into the game and they had a 3-0 lead by half-time.
That was doubled with the aid of the wind shortly after the resumption and an unconverted try ended the scoring.
Injuries to Tim Fretter and Joe Breeze hampered Verulamians just as they were starting to mount a comeback and the match finished with cards being shown to both sides for high tackles.
You may also want to watch:
Vees are back at home on Saturday when league leaders Hendon are the visitors.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district