Battling display at Saracens from the spirited youngsters of Verulamians
- Credit: Archant
A young Verulamians side produced a battling display in a narrow 11-0 loss away to Saracens Amateurs in Herts Middlesex Division One.
Nine of the Vees' side were aged 22 or under but they gave as good as they got even if the more-experienced Sarries side enjoyed better fortunes in the set-pieces.
The visitors started with a lot of carries putting Saracens under pressure but the deserved try never materialised and gradually the home side started to crawl their way back into the game and they had a 3-0 lead by half-time.
That was doubled with the aid of the wind shortly after the resumption and an unconverted try ended the scoring.
Injuries to Tim Fretter and Joe Breeze hampered Verulamians just as they were starting to mount a comeback and the match finished with cards being shown to both sides for high tackles.
You may also want to watch:
Vees are back at home on Saturday when league leaders Hendon are the visitors.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 3 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 4 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 5 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans