Verulamians hoping for promotion to top last year’s successes
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians Rugby Club have set their sights on going one better than last year – with promotion being top of the list.
The Cotlandswick club have managed to retain the majority of last year’s squad which finished fourth in Herts Middlesex One and won the Herts Presidents’ Trophy.
James Hayes and Sam Richmond will take the helm of the first and second teams with Sam Townsend becoming player-coach following the departure of Tom Ross.
The new coach said: “I will convert personal commitment into winning teams. Last year the players showed they have the drive to achieve and now this will be converted into results.”
Pre-season training will take place on Tuesday and Thursday evenings starting tonight (Thursday) at 7.15pm.
All members, both existing and new are welcome to come down with the club hoping to field a regular third side if there are the numbers.
Ian Graham will continue as chairman and John White as president while Angela Clifford will hope to continue the success at mini and junior level.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Author's new book explores mental health during the pandemic
The club were one of many across the country that took part in the NatWest Rugby Force weekend.
Volunteers and club members helped to spruce up the clubhouse with the help of the RFU and NatWest.