Verulamians heading to Allianz Park after Cheshunt win in Herts Trophy
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians booked a Herts Trophy final date at Saracens’ Allianz Park thanks to a 33-15 victory under the lights at Cheshunt.
It was a perfect tactically-conceived victory to set up an 11am clash with Watford RFC on Saturday, April 30.
James Hayes, the Vees captain, decided to play up the hill in the first half and selected Alex Ricci to take over the normal kicking duties of Ben Russell.
Both were decisions he and the team did not regret.
With the advantage of the slope in the first half Cheshunt’s adventurous scrum-half pinned Vees in their half for long periods.
Ricci’s siege gun boot slotted two 50 metre penalties to keep them in touch and they turned round just 15-6 down at half-time.
With the hard-working forwards, along with Ricci, Russell and Cameron Craig more to the fore, the second half saw Verulamians in the ascendency.
- 1 LIVE: St Albans and Harpenden A-level results 2022
- 2 Hemel Hempstead man wanted as part of assault investigation
- 3 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 4 'Minor explosions' heard during garage fire near St Albans
- 5 St Albans one of the UK's top 10 most beautiful cities, says tiling firm
- 6 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 7 All trains cancelled between St Albans Abbey and Watford
- 8 'Get a grip on lawless Charter Market', traders demand in leaked audio
- 9 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 Two Renault Trafic vans broken into in Hemel Hempstead
Sam Allen used his pace to bag two tries and this was supplemented by Russell and Sam Townsend adding their own.
Ricci added the necessary kicks to see Vees home.
They were brought back to earth on Saturday with unavailability and injuries meaning they were unable to field the necessary-strength side against London Welsh Amateurs.
And it was the second-placed side in the Herts Middlesex Division One who came out on top with a 29-6 win.
The last league match of this season brings UCS Old Boys to Cotlandswick on Saturday.