Verulamians go top after Old Streetonians win
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians Rugby Club leapt above Old Streetonians to the summit of Herts Middlesex One after a 27-17 win at Cotlandswick.
It was the club’s third successive triumph this season and it came with a bonus point for four tries.
A reshuffle in the backs from last week’s narrow win over Royston was not a hindrance and within 10 minutes Vees were in front.
Sam Crowne took advantage of plenty of driving aggression from the forwards to secure the first from a line-out.
Tom Maile duly converted and a kick brought the next points, although it came from the unlikely boot of No.8 Michael Hollister, who audaciously dropped a goal from 25 metres out.
Somehow though Vees let the visitors back into the game and they levelled things up.
But a try from skipper James Hayes ensured Vees led 15-10 at the break.
- 1 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 4 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 5 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
- 9 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 10 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
Early in the second half George Irwin, playing unaccustomedly at scrum-half, produced one of his blistering darts resulting in a third score.
And the fourth came from Joe Seymour, who had both a strong attacking and defensive game, with jinking run ending up between the posts.
Maile again converted and although Old Streetonians got a late try, Vees had done more than enough to win.
Vees attacks were often the result of combined forward play in which Mike Ainsworth was outstanding in the second half.