Verulam School impress as they go so close to Elite Schools’ Cup glory
- Credit: Archant
Verulam School fell just short of a memorable victory in the final of the National Elite Schools’ Cup as they lost 4-3 to Thomas Telford.
Played at The Hawthorns, home of West Bromwich Albion, the Year 9 football team had battled hard in a game that had swung one way then the other.
A goal in the first of four added minutes handed the trophy to the Shropshire side but the St Albans squad, managed by PE teacher Ollie Giles, went away with the respect of large number of travelling fans after an impressive display.
They had taken the lead early on with the first of two goals for Harrison Shaw, squeezing the ball in after Verulam did well to keep the ball in play.
From there though Telford pulled away, going into a 3-1 half-time lead before Shaw pulled one back with a deft lob.
You may also want to watch:
And Verulam were in dreamland when Thomas Galvez equalised with an outrageous shot from at least 35 yards out, until that final disappointment.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 6 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 7 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 8 Columban Cycling Club take on 'The Italian Job' for Home-Start Herts
- 9 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 10 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently