Verulam School impress as they go so close to Elite Schools’ Cup glory
- Credit: Archant
Verulam School fell just short of a memorable victory in the final of the National Elite Schools’ Cup as they lost 4-3 to Thomas Telford.
Played at The Hawthorns, home of West Bromwich Albion, the Year 9 football team had battled hard in a game that had swung one way then the other.
A goal in the first of four added minutes handed the trophy to the Shropshire side but the St Albans squad, managed by PE teacher Ollie Giles, went away with the respect of large number of travelling fans after an impressive display.
They had taken the lead early on with the first of two goals for Harrison Shaw, squeezing the ball in after Verulam did well to keep the ball in play.
From there though Telford pulled away, going into a 3-1 half-time lead before Shaw pulled one back with a deft lob.
You may also want to watch:
And Verulam were in dreamland when Thomas Galvez equalised with an outrageous shot from at least 35 yards out, until that final disappointment.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 7 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 8 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 9 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre