Verulam Reallymoving finish on a high as road season comes to a close
- Credit: Archant
Verulam Reallymoving Race Team underlined their strength this year as the road racing season finally came to a close.
Racing in the Palmer Park Velo event at RAF Abingdon, Will Smith and Jamie Maxen dominated the strong field in the last circuit race of the year to finish first and second.
The flat and open course featured a long straight with a howling headwind and the pair used the numbers game in the 45-minute race to break clear.
Smith said: “I attacked with 20 minutes to go and Jamie and one more followed.
“After another lap it was only Jamie and I and we worked until late on when I got clear.”
You may also want to watch:
Off-road there were also strong results at the Central Cyclo-cross League event at Whipsnade.
Tom Martin was third in the junior race as was John Jones in the V50 category where Christine Pout finished fourth.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
Alfie Aldridge took fifth in the U16s and Kate Gannon was sixth in the V40 race.