Smith and Nwaka lead Verulam Reallymoving’s assault on time-trial championship
- Credit: Archant
Will Smith, Verulam Reallymoving’s highly-rated U16 rider, and masters’ racer Stan Nwaka took to the national stage as cycling continues its return from lockdown.
The pair were competing in the Cycling Time Trials Championships, a 10-mile race against the clock, and it was an experience that was slightly novel for Smith.
He said: “This was only my fourth timed event and I wasn’t targeting the race but just wanted to see how I would stack up.
“I did a time of 21:10 which I am disappointed with but I learnt a lot from it and know what I need to do to get better.
“I have a few easy adjustments I can make and some harder ones, and I am now setting myself the goal of going sub 20 minutes”
You may also want to watch:
Nwaka, however, is no stranger to the discipline and he came home in 23:32
He said: “It was an amazing event with the cream of the UK competing and it was hugely exciting to be part of this national event.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans