Verulam Golf Club take team title at the Hertfordshire Foursomes Championship
- Credit: Archant
Verulam Golf Club picked up the Peggy Harkett Trophy for best team at the Hertfordshire Golf Union’s Interclub Foursomes Championship.
The team of David Dobinson, James Surridge, Callum Austin and Callum Walker, playing on their home course, shot a total of 304 to beat Sandy Lodge from Northwood by one shot.
They were helped in no short way by an eagle from Austin and Walker on their final hole of the day.
Harpenden Common finished in sixth place, Redbourn were 13th and Verulam Artisans 15th.
However, while Dobinson and Surridge could celebrate the team win, they suffered in the pairs event losing to Sandy Lodge duo of Jason Court and Adam Berg-Capin.
The Verulam pair hit rounds of 74 in both the morning and afternoon sessions.
The morning round even contained a triple bogey on the 15th after a lost ball.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
However, Court and Berg-Capin, shot an impressive 69 in the afternoon for a total of 147, taking the tile by a single shot.