Verulam Golf Club take team title at the Hertfordshire Foursomes Championship
- Credit: Archant
Verulam Golf Club picked up the Peggy Harkett Trophy for best team at the Hertfordshire Golf Union’s Interclub Foursomes Championship.
The team of David Dobinson, James Surridge, Callum Austin and Callum Walker, playing on their home course, shot a total of 304 to beat Sandy Lodge from Northwood by one shot.
They were helped in no short way by an eagle from Austin and Walker on their final hole of the day.
Harpenden Common finished in sixth place, Redbourn were 13th and Verulam Artisans 15th.
However, while Dobinson and Surridge could celebrate the team win, they suffered in the pairs event losing to Sandy Lodge duo of Jason Court and Adam Berg-Capin.
The Verulam pair hit rounds of 74 in both the morning and afternoon sessions.
The morning round even contained a triple bogey on the 15th after a lost ball.
- 1 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 2 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 3 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 4 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 5 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 6 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 7 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 8 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
- 9 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
- 10 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
However, Court and Berg-Capin, shot an impressive 69 in the afternoon for a total of 147, taking the tile by a single shot.