Verualmians remain unbeaten after stern examination by London Welsh Druids
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians Rugby Club kept their 100 per cent record intact after a nail-biting 10-8 win over London Welsh Druids at Cotlandswick.
Vees came into the game looking for their 10th win in succession but came up against a determined visiting side, out to provide a stern test of the home team’s resolve.
From the outset the Druids presented a spirited, well organised, attacking unit that posed Vees’ forwards with many questions and their inventive backs with matching competition.
Defence, sometimes stretched and scrambled, was put to the test on many occasions and the Druids dominated the line-outs and often beat Vees forwards in the loose play.
Vees were forced into conceding too many penalties and, had the Druids had a better kicker, they could have secured a good half-time points advantage.
But opportunities were missed and Welsh went into the break with just a single unconverted try to show for their efforts.
The second half continued in a similar frenetic pace and it was only when Vees gained a loose ball, while camped in the Druids 22m, that George Harding darted through to score.
- 1 LIVE: St Albans and Harpenden A-level results 2022
- 2 'Minor explosions' heard during garage fire near St Albans
- 3 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 4 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 5 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 6 'Get a grip on lawless Charter Market', traders demand in leaked audio
- 7 Refunds still due for cancelled Herts Fest event
- 8 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 13-year-old missing from Hemel Hempstead
- 10 St Albans Scout leaders heading to Korean Jamboree
He calmly converted to give Vees an increasingly insecure lead which was wiped out shortly afterwards when Druids won a penalty in front of the posts.
But five minutes later Vees gained a penalty of their own and Harding coolly hoisted the ball through the uprights for a breath-sapping, anxiety-ridden victory.