Verualmians remain unbeaten after stern examination by London Welsh Druids
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians Rugby Club kept their 100 per cent record intact after a nail-biting 10-8 win over London Welsh Druids at Cotlandswick.
Vees came into the game looking for their 10th win in succession but came up against a determined visiting side, out to provide a stern test of the home team’s resolve.
From the outset the Druids presented a spirited, well organised, attacking unit that posed Vees’ forwards with many questions and their inventive backs with matching competition.
Defence, sometimes stretched and scrambled, was put to the test on many occasions and the Druids dominated the line-outs and often beat Vees forwards in the loose play.
Vees were forced into conceding too many penalties and, had the Druids had a better kicker, they could have secured a good half-time points advantage.
You may also want to watch:
But opportunities were missed and Welsh went into the break with just a single unconverted try to show for their efforts.
The second half continued in a similar frenetic pace and it was only when Vees gained a loose ball, while camped in the Druids 22m, that George Harding darted through to score.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
He calmly converted to give Vees an increasingly insecure lead which was wiped out shortly afterwards when Druids won a penalty in front of the posts.
But five minutes later Vees gained a penalty of their own and Harding coolly hoisted the ball through the uprights for a breath-sapping, anxiety-ridden victory.