Vees U14 secure promotion
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians U14s secured promotion to Herts and Middlesex Division Five after beating second-placed Hitchin.
Vees turned around a five-point, half-time deficit to beat their promotion rivals 22-17, with Ben Meyrick’s 40-yard jaunt completing a stunning comeback.
Hitchin took an early lead after winning two scrums against the head and crossing in the corner. Vees responded with a pick-and-drive but Jacques Hladkyj was held up as he went over.
The equalising score came from the resulting scrum as Harry Brown picked up the ball and powered through Hitchin’s line. Lewis Casey added the extras to give Vees a 7-5 lead.
Meyrick crossed the line before the break for the first of his three tries but it came after a purple patch from Hitchin, who lead 17-12 at half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Vees poured forward in the second half and only stout defence and bad luck kept them out. Jake Ireland was stripped of the ball in the act of ground and Tom Edwards was pushed into touch just short of the line on three occasions.
The try did eventually come as, after several phases, Meyrick dotted down. And he was not to be denied his third as, following a good break by Alex Towle and quick hands through the backs, he won the game.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans