Vees U14 secure promotion
- Credit: Archant
Verulamians U14s secured promotion to Herts and Middlesex Division Five after beating second-placed Hitchin.
Vees turned around a five-point, half-time deficit to beat their promotion rivals 22-17, with Ben Meyrick’s 40-yard jaunt completing a stunning comeback.
Hitchin took an early lead after winning two scrums against the head and crossing in the corner. Vees responded with a pick-and-drive but Jacques Hladkyj was held up as he went over.
The equalising score came from the resulting scrum as Harry Brown picked up the ball and powered through Hitchin’s line. Lewis Casey added the extras to give Vees a 7-5 lead.
Meyrick crossed the line before the break for the first of his three tries but it came after a purple patch from Hitchin, who lead 17-12 at half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Vees poured forward in the second half and only stout defence and bad luck kept them out. Jake Ireland was stripped of the ball in the act of ground and Tom Edwards was pushed into touch just short of the line on three occasions.
The try did eventually come as, after several phases, Meyrick dotted down. And he was not to be denied his third as, following a good break by Alex Towle and quick hands through the backs, he won the game.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 3 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 4 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 9 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?