Verulamians’ hopes of brighter future stall in Saracens Amateurs defeat
- Credit: Archant
A lacklustre performance by Verulamians merely added to the despondency at Cotlandswick as they lost 24-12 to Saracens Amateurs.
The opening day of the Herts Middlesex Division One season also brought a loss but there were still signs of a promising future.
But they disappeared somewhat as Saracens got two unconverted tries in the first-half, partly due to their big number eight and domination in the line-out.
Vees did show greater determination at the start of the second half and were rewarded with a try, newcomer Jack Hegarty piercing the defences.
However, those efforts petered out and three steals brought two more Amateur tries to kill the resistance.
You may also want to watch:
A late surge will at least offer some hope and it did bring a second try, Ross Graham getting it following good work from Hegarty and Oli Askew-Fountain and Jim McCormack adding the conversion.
But much improvement will be needed if Vees are to bounce back against Hendon on Saturday.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public