Vees Chariots defeat Watford
THE Verulamian RFC Chariots Under 13s took on Watford in their opening game of the season at Cotlandswick on Sunday. With five new faces the team had to be quickly organised on the day and positions allocated to all 15 players. Chairman Rob Lines stepped
THE Verulamian RFC Chariots Under 13s took on Watford in their opening game of the season at Cotlandswick on Sunday.
With five new faces the team had to be quickly organised on the day and positions allocated to all 15 players. Chairman Rob Lines stepped in as coach and the Chariots got off to a flying with some aggressive tackling and strong scrummaging. Dominic O'Malley finished off a series of drives with a well taken and powerful try.
In the second half Simn Crain, Tahir Hussain, Tom Malloy and Adam Welch MacDonald all impressed with their running. Vees pressurised Watford into dropping the ball, gained possession, and some well-timed passing enabled left wing Matthew Kempbell-Cooke, to speed his way round the opposition and score a great individual try.
Watford hit back with a try to reduce the deficit to 10-5 until a strong run by Avenash Akhal was finished off by second row Adam Welch-MacDonald who picked up a try on his debut. Dreevesh Gooheram, captaining for the first time, converted with a well taken kick.
You may also want to watch:
The final score was 17-10 to Vees after Watford pulled back a second unconverted try. The result and performance provides a great boost to the new-look Vees outfit.
New players are welcome at the club. For more information see www.vrugby.com
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
Chariots Under 13s: Thomas, Crain, Daggett, Welch-MacDonald, Matticoli, Torbuck, T. Malloy, O'Malley, M. Malloy, Diplock, Akhal, Hussain, Miller, Kempbell-Cooke, Gooheram.