Vees Chariots defeat Watford
THE Verulamian RFC Chariots Under 13s took on Watford in their opening game of the season at Cotlandswick on Sunday. With five new faces the team had to be quickly organised on the day and positions allocated to all 15 players. Chairman Rob Lines stepped
THE Verulamian RFC Chariots Under 13s took on Watford in their opening game of the season at Cotlandswick on Sunday.
With five new faces the team had to be quickly organised on the day and positions allocated to all 15 players. Chairman Rob Lines stepped in as coach and the Chariots got off to a flying with some aggressive tackling and strong scrummaging. Dominic O'Malley finished off a series of drives with a well taken and powerful try.
In the second half Simn Crain, Tahir Hussain, Tom Malloy and Adam Welch MacDonald all impressed with their running. Vees pressurised Watford into dropping the ball, gained possession, and some well-timed passing enabled left wing Matthew Kempbell-Cooke, to speed his way round the opposition and score a great individual try.
Watford hit back with a try to reduce the deficit to 10-5 until a strong run by Avenash Akhal was finished off by second row Adam Welch-MacDonald who picked up a try on his debut. Dreevesh Gooheram, captaining for the first time, converted with a well taken kick.
The final score was 17-10 to Vees after Watford pulled back a second unconverted try. The result and performance provides a great boost to the new-look Vees outfit.
New players are welcome at the club. For more information see www.vrugby.com
- 1 LIVE: St Albans and Harpenden A-level results 2022
- 2 'Minor explosions' heard during garage fire near St Albans
- 3 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 4 Franco Manca receives licence to serve alcohol in St Albans
- 5 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 6 'Get a grip on lawless Charter Market', traders demand in leaked audio
- 7 Man breaks ankle during 'assault' in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 Refunds still due for cancelled Herts Fest event
- 10 13-year-old missing from Hemel Hempstead
Chariots Under 13s: Thomas, Crain, Daggett, Welch-MacDonald, Matticoli, Torbuck, T. Malloy, O'Malley, M. Malloy, Diplock, Akhal, Hussain, Miller, Kempbell-Cooke, Gooheram.