Unfortunate Rovers cuffed
Herts Senior County League Division One Harpenden Rovers 0 Cuffley 2 HARPENDEN Rovers were beaten in controversial circumstances by Cuffley in the Herts Senior County League on Saturday.
Herts Senior County League Division One
Harpenden Rovers 0 Cuffley 2
HARPENDEN Rovers were beaten in controversial circumstances by Cuffley in the Herts Senior County League on Saturday.
Hosts Rovers were happy with their form in the first half as Williams and Fox marshalled the defence well and striker Gareth Devoti worked hard in attack. Rovers almost went in at the break ahead when some neat inter play between Carberry and Devoti ended with Devoti being sent tumbling to the floor. Chugg whipped in the resulting free kick which Fox powered it into the side netting.
You may also want to watch:
The second half saw Cuffley turn up the pressure but for the first 25 minutes Rovers stood strong. The match turned when Cuffley opened the scoring after Harpenden calls for a foul on goalkeeper Paul Goodwin were ignored by the referee. Harpenden felt aggrieved that their goalkeeper was bundled to the floor by a challenge from the striker who then tapped the ball home.
Rovers introduced Graham Golds and Leigh Jenkinson to push for a reply but with five minutes to go Cuffley split the home defence and struck a second to seal victory.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 7 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 Olympic legend Denise Lewis unveils inspirational mural in St Albans
Harpenden Rovers: Goodwin, Downes, Hamer (Dobinson 87), Fox, Williams, Chugg, Watson, Poole (Golds 60), Carberry (Jenkinson 71), Price, Devoti. Unused sub: Izzard.
Rovers Reserves kept their unbeaten record in tact but let slip a two goal lead to finish 4-4 against Chipperfield Reserves. Goals for Rovers were scored by Paul Turner, Craig Redford, Ian Ascough and Ovidio Saddi.
Rovers III were beaten 2-1 by Old Parmiterians and knocked off the top of the table.