Herts Senior Cup: Unfortunate own-goal from old boy Joseph sends St Albans City to semi-finals
- Credit: Archant
Harold Joseph did not enjoy his return to Clarence Park as his own goal was enough to send St Albans City into the semi-final of the Herts Senior Cup with a 1-0 win over Royston Town.
It was announced in the ground as being scored by Sam Merson as it was his shot from a narrow angle on the left of the box that bounced off the central defender’s thigh and looped up and over another former City favourite Joe Welch.
Royston had a number of other former Saints players making their return, including Scott Thomas and Sam Corcoran.
And the latter would have impressed his former employers with a dynamic display in the midfield during his 56 minutes, showing off his passing skills that became a trademark.
Lewis Knight came closest to doubling Saints lead with a firm drive in what was a fiery game that saw six men go into the book, three from each side.
You may also want to watch:
Saints will now play either Watford or Bishop’s Stortford who face each other on Tuesday.
That match is scheduled for February 26.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 3 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 4 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 5 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 6 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 7 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 8 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 9 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans