Herts Senior Cup: Unfortunate own-goal from old boy Joseph sends St Albans City to semi-finals
- Credit: Archant
Harold Joseph did not enjoy his return to Clarence Park as his own goal was enough to send St Albans City into the semi-final of the Herts Senior Cup with a 1-0 win over Royston Town.
It was announced in the ground as being scored by Sam Merson as it was his shot from a narrow angle on the left of the box that bounced off the central defender’s thigh and looped up and over another former City favourite Joe Welch.
Royston had a number of other former Saints players making their return, including Scott Thomas and Sam Corcoran.
And the latter would have impressed his former employers with a dynamic display in the midfield during his 56 minutes, showing off his passing skills that became a trademark.
Lewis Knight came closest to doubling Saints lead with a firm drive in what was a fiery game that saw six men go into the book, three from each side.
You may also want to watch:
Saints will now play either Watford or Bishop’s Stortford who face each other on Tuesday.
That match is scheduled for February 26.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans